A New Zealand woman on holiday in Thailand has died and her two friends are seriously ill after contracting what is thought to be food poisoning.
Sarah Katherine Carter, 23, died at Chiang Mai Ram Hospital, in northern Thailand, on Sunday morning from a food-related illness, according to an online memorial website.
Carter died from eating toxic seaweed, after she and her two friends became ill after eating at a food market in Chiang Mai on Friday, news website stuff.co.nz reported on Tuesday.
An NZ Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokeswoman said Carter's two female friends were being treated in hospital.
One, Amanda Eliason, 24, was in intensive care recovering from emergency heart surgery, Radio New Zealand reported.