A 16-year-old girl has died after becoming ill from what doctors suspect was a dangerous parasite which entered her body while she was swimming in a Florida, US, river.
Health officials in Brevard County said they believe water infected with a deadly amoeba went up Courtney Nash's nose while she was swimming in the St. Johns River, 71 kilometres east of Orlando, last week, myFOXorlando.com reported.
The deadly parasite usually enters the body through the nose and attacks the brain and spinal cord - and often results in death in a matter of days.
The Centres for Disease Control and Prevention will have to confirm the diagnosis of amoebic encephalitis, the Orlando Sentinel reported.
Just 30 people have died in Florida from the rare brain infection since 1937.
Health officials said while the amoeba is rare, it does increase in summer months when the water temperature rises.